Resolving A Dispute with A Jeweler

The importance of keeping your receipt cannot be emphasized enough. With it, you have proof.

However, if you feel that you have been treated unfairly in any way by a 47th Street jeweler, follow these steps to try to resolve the dispute:

1. Return to the store with your receipt and explain your problem to the salesperson who served you. If the salesperson can’t, or won’t help, ask to speak to the owner.

2. If the owner refuses to resolve the dispute, put the details of your complaint in writing and send it to the owner by certified mail, return receipt requested.

3. If the owner doesn’t respond within two weeks, contact the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs hotline at (212) 487-4444. You may also write to the Department at 42 Broadway, New York, NY 10004.