The clarity grade of a diamond is determined by the number, size, and location of imperfections, or inclusions, within the stone.
As with color, the GIA has set grade for clarity, which are widely used, in grading reports and by appraisers and diamond sellers.
Briefly, these grades are:
- F1 Flawless ¼ no blemishes.
- IF Internally Flawless ¼ no inclusions and only insignificant blemishes.
- V VS1 & V VS2 ¼ Very, very slight inclusions.
- VS1 & VS2 ¼ Very slight inclusions.
- SI1 & SI2 ¼ Slight inclusions.
- I1, I2 & I3 ¼ Imperfect with obvious inclusions that are usually eye-visible.